Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements(if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We have updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.

Russia strikes Kyiv for first time in weeks, battle rages in east

NATALIA ZINETS and PAVEL POLITYUK

RUSSIA struck Ukraine’s capital Kyiv with missiles for the first time in more than a month, while Ukrainian officials said a counter-attack on the main battlefield in the east had retaken half of the city of Sievierodonetsk.

Dark smoke could be seen from many miles away after the attack on two outlying districts of Kyiv. Ukraine said the strike hit a rail car repair works; Moscow said it had destroyed tanks sent by Eastern European countries to Ukraine.

At least one person was hospitalised though there were no immediate reports of deaths. The strike was a sudden reminder of war in a capital where normal life has largely returned since Russian forces were driven from its outskirts in March.

“The Kremlin resorts to new insidious attacks. Today’s missile strikes at Kyiv have only one goal – kill as many as possible,” tweeted Ukrainian presidential adviser Mikhailo Podolyak.

Ukraine said Russia had carried out the strike using long-range air-launched missiles fired from heavy bombers as far away as the Caspian Sea – a weapon far more valuable than the tanks Russia claimed to have hit.

Ukraine’s nuclear power operator said a Russian cruise missile had flown “critically low” over the country’s second-largest nuclear power plant.

Sunday’s attack was the first big strike on Kyiv since late April when a missile killed a journalist. Recent weeks have seen Russia focus its destructive might mainly on front lines in the east and south, although Moscow occasionally strikes elsewhere in what it calls a campaign to degrade Ukraine’s military infrastructure and block Western arms shipments.

UKRAINE CLAIMS HALF OF SIEVIERODONETSK

Russia has concentrated its forces in recent weeks on the small eastern industrial city of Sievierodonetsk, pursuing one of the biggest ground battles of the war in a bid to capture one of two eastern provinces – Luhansk and Donetsk – it claims on behalf of separatist proxies.

After retreating steadily in the city in recent days, Ukraine mounted a counter-attack there, which it said took the Russians by surprise. After recapturing a swathe of the city, Ukrainian forces were now in control of half of it and continuing to push the Russians back, said Serhiy Gaidai, governor of Luhansk province including Sievierodonetsk.

The claims could not be independently verified. Both sides say they have inflicted huge casualties in Sievierodonetsk, in a battle that could determine which side carries the momentum into a protracted war of attrition in the coming months.

In another sign Ukraine has held off the Russian advance, Gaidai said evacuations resumed from the Ukrainian-held part of Luhansk province on Sunday, and 98 people had escaped. Russian forces have been trying for weeks to cut off the main road out to encircle Ukrainian troops there, and evacuations were halted last week after a journalist was killed by shelling.

Britain’s defence ministry said on Sunday that Ukrainian counterattacks in Sievierodonetsk over the past 24 hours were likely to blunt any operational momentum Russia had gained. Moscow was deploying poorly equipped separatist fighters in the city to limit the risk to its regular forces, it said.

In neighbouring Donetsk province, Russian forces have been advancing in recent days in territory north of the Siverskiy Donets river, in advance of what Ukraine anticipates could be a push on the major city of Sloviansk.

Ukrainian officials said at least eight people were killed and 11 injured in Russian shelling in the province overnight.

In a Sunday address in Rome, Pope Francis noted that more than 100 days had passed since “the start of the armed aggression against Ukraine”, and called the war “the negation of God’s dream”.

PUTIN PLAYS DOWN NEW U.S. ROCKETS

Last week, the United States said it would send new, advanced medium-range rocket systems to Ukraine, which Kyiv hopes will help tip the balance in the conflict. Washington has ruled out sending longer-range munitions and says Kyiv has promised not to strike inside Russia.

In an interview with Russian state television, President Vladimir Putin played down the impact of the new rockets, although he warned Washington not to send longer-range ones.

The rockets Washington had promised so far were comparable to Soviet-era weapons Ukraine already had, Putin said.

“This is nothing new. It doesn’t change anything in essence,” Putin said. If Washington were to deliver longer-range rockets, “we will strike at those targets which we have not yet been hitting”, he said. He also dismissed the impact of Western drones, saying Russia had been “cracking them like nuts”.

Kyiv rebuked French President Emmanuel Macron on Saturday for saying it was important not to “humiliate” Moscow.

Ukraine has bristled over what it considers pressure from some European allies to relinquish territory to secure a ceasefire.

“Calls to avoid humiliation of Russia can only humiliate France and every other country that would call for it,” Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba tweeted in response to Macron’s remarks.

By The African Mirror

Related Posts