Our website use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements(if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense, Google Analytics, Youtube. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We have updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.
Death toll from South African floods revised down to 435

Death toll from South African floods revised down to 435

THE death toll from severe flooding in South Africa's KwaZulu-Natal province last week has been revised down to 435 from 448, Police Minister Bheki Cele said. Cele said the number of missing people was not confirmed. The floods, among the worst to hit KwaZulu-Natal province, have left thousands homeless and caused at least 10 billion rand ($656 million) of damage to infrastructure. In giving the lower death toll, Cele told a televised briefing that four of the bodies found were murder related and nine had died from natural causes other than the floods. Search and rescue efforts were still underway…
Read More
Two more arrested for whistleblower’s murder

Two more arrested for whistleblower’s murder

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER TWO more suspects have been arrested in Johannesburg in connection with the assassination of anti-corruption witness and whistleblower Babita Deokaran. Police Minister Bheki Cele has revealed during an interview with Newzroom Afrika that in addition to arresting the two suspects, police also seized two cars - a van and a sedan - a firearm and lots of cash.  The arrests brings to eight, the number of suspects arrested in connection with the August 23 murder of Deokaran (53), whose murder has led to nationwide concerns about the safety of witnesses and whistleblowers. Deokaran, who was a senior…
Read More
Six instigators of SA arson and looting arrested, six  more to go

Six instigators of SA arson and looting arrested, six more to go

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER SOUTH African Police have reported progress, both in the hunt of the instigators of the violence and looting which left 212 people dead over 3 000 arrested as well as the recovery of goods that were stolen. The SA government yesterday reported that the sixth alleged instigator has been arrested.  Khumbuzo Ntshavheni, the Acting- Minister in the Presidency in SA, said of those arrested, three have appeared in court and were remanded in prison. One was given bail and the other two are expected to appear in court later this week. Those who appeared in court were…
Read More
‘Enough!’: SA residents act to stop looting, arson

‘Enough!’: SA residents act to stop looting, arson

ORDINARY South Africans, annoyed by the wanton looting and violence which has cost lives and damage running into billions of rands, have taken to the streets to defend shopping malls and private residences. In Gauteng and KwaZulu-Natal, the two provinces that have experience looting of shopping malls, ordinary residents, with the help of the community policing forums and the South African National Taxi Company, have decided that they could no longer leave the protection of the livelihoods to the law enforcement agencies, who were battling to cope. In Durban, residents, supported by private security guards manned roadblocks to protect their…
Read More
ANC’s bid to persuade Zuma to avoid jail

ANC’s bid to persuade Zuma to avoid jail

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER BHEKI Cele, the South African Minister of Police has met former President Jacob Zuma to persuade him to avoid a possible prison term by adhering to the summons and a Constitutional Court ruling to appear before the Zondo Commission into state capture.  Cele has disclosed, in an interview with South African TV station Newzroom Afrika, that his mission to Nkandla, KwaZulu-Natal was to speak to Zuma, who has made it clear that he would rather go to jail than appear before the Zondo Commission, to change his mind. Cele would not disclose the outcome of the meeting…
Read More
R176-million paid to families of Marikana massacre victims

R176-million paid to families of Marikana massacre victims

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER THE South African government has paid over R176-million to compensate the families of those who were killed in the August 6, 2012 Marikana massacre, Police Minister Bheki Cele has disclosed. A total of 34 mine workers were shot and killed in clashes between striking mine workers and the police. Cele made the announcement when he released a report compiled by a panel of experts on the reforms the SA Police Service should undergo following the massacre, which ranks as the worst attack on civilians by the police in a post apartheid SA. The minister disclosed that a…
Read More
South African politician in trouble for not wearing a mask

South African politician in trouble for not wearing a mask

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER REFILWE Mtsweni-Tsipane, the Premier of South Africa’s Mpumalanga Province, has landed herself in hot water after she was spotted not wearing a mask in public, an act in violation of the law. Her actions led to a stern rebuke from SA Police Minister Bheki Cele, who ordered an investigation into a violation of the by the Premier. Minister Cele says the wearing of masks in public, is a non negotiable. “If South Africa wants to beat this invisible enemy which is COVID-19, we simply can’t let down our guard. This is why I have spoken to the…
Read More
SA police boss wins power battle against minister

SA police boss wins power battle against minister

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER SOUTH African national police commissioner General Khehla Sitole has scored an important victory in the courts against his political boss, Police Minister Bheki Cele. The North Gauteng High Court, sitting in Pretoria, has affirmed Sitole’s right to suspend his subordinates, suspected of misconduct. The court ruling flew in the face of an attempt by Cele to force Sitole to halt the suspension of six top police officers over the purchase of R1.5-million COVID-19 personal protection equipment (PPE). The top officers have been suspended for allegedly using the Secret Services Account illegally to purchase the PPEs. The suspended…
Read More
Crisis hits South African Police top leadership

Crisis hits South African Police top leadership

JOVIAL RANTAO TWO of the most powerful men in the South African Police Service - the national police commissioner General Khehla Sitole and Minister of Police Bheki Cele, the political head of the force - are on a collision course over the suspension of top police officers implicated in the purchase of personal protective equipment. At the heart of the dispute between Sitole and Cele was the decision of the national commissioner to suspend three generals. On December 1, Cele wrote to Sitole instructing him to halt the suspensions until his office had received a final report on alleged PPE…
Read More
Police general “received gifts and a R400 000 kickback”

Police general “received gifts and a R400 000 kickback”

AFRICAN MIRROR REPORTER “Nobody is above the law,” declared South Africa’s national police commissioner General Khehla Sitole on the day one of his deputies appeared in court, charged with fraud and corruption. Lieutenant-General Bonang Mgwenya, the deputy national commissioner for human resources has joined nine other top police officers in dock where they are charged with criminality in relation to an irregular R191-million ”blue lights tender”. Mgwenya is now the 13th suspect and the 9th police officer who have been arrested and appeared in court in connection with a 2017 multi-million rand tender fraud to purchase blue lights and radios…
Read More